Tuesday, November 17, 2009

L'Oreal HIP paints


I've been going gaga over the L'Oreal HIP paints in the last week!

I know they're not the newest thing on the makeup block.  I also know that a TON of beauty bloggers and YouTubers have been all over this product for quite some time.

Yet I find it strange that opinions are quite polarized.  Reviewers have fallen into two camps.  Either they LOVE or HATE the product.

It seems that those reviewers who are diehard MAC addicts, who use the paint pots, generally don't like the HIP Paints.  MAC users generally claim to prefer the powdery finish of the MAC version.  They also complain that the L'Oreal product 'sets' too quickly leaving them unable to blend satisfactorily.

Well, I can't say I've had any of those problems.  I've been playing with five [there are six in total] different colours, and have found them equally blendable.  When I use my fingertip, I can apply all over my lid, into or above my crease line, or blend it so it fades out all the way up to my brow line.  I must admit, it gets a little difficult to get my fingertip into my inner crease - but that's where the L'Oreal Paint's brush [included with product] is really useful.

Alternatively, if I want a more 'defined' or 'harsh' line, it's just a matter of literally painting the product where I want it, then letting it set.

And I want to clear something up right now - the product DOES NOT set immediately.  I've never felt like I was racing against the clock to get the product where I wanted it, or blended the way I like it.

I also want to clear up something else, right from the outset.  I did not purchase these paints, even though I was looking to purchase some different eyeshadow bases.  I'm falling way out of love with my RedEarth Mineral Infused eyeshadow base, but didn't want to fork out the dollars for an Urban Decay Primer Potion or like product.  Fortuitously, Brigette from Brigette's Boutique contacted me with a view to reviewing these products.  After assuring her that I would only provide an honest review, and that she needed to keep that in mind, we agreed for her to send me a few of these paints.

I've used this as a shadow on it's own - it's AMAZING for those mornings when I don't have any time and need to put a face on in 5 minutes or less.  I whack on my primer, my foundation... curl my lashes, get some L'Oreal Paint on my eyes and finish with mascara.  I'm swiping my go-to Lucas' pawpaw ointment on my lips as I run out the door.  Done.

So, I fall into the camp of those who definitely like this product - just to be clear. *smiles*

But the features I've already mentioned are not what I consider to be the BEST feature of this product!




When I first received the packet with the paints, I just HAD to start playing right away.  I swatched the paint on the back of my hand - not the most 'normal' of places to do so, but a little more than I wanted came out of the tube and I wanted to check out the overall texture and blendability of the product, so on it went.

Anyway, about half a second later, my kids called me from outside.  They'd been making mud pies and had all of a sudden realised how dirty they were.  They needed, absolutely immediately, to come in and wash their hands.  Which basically means Mummy has to do it with/for them.

And I noticed the strangest thing when I was done.  The HIP Paint was still there.  On the back of my hand.  Strong and pigmented as ever.  It didn't seem to have budged while I was washing two sets of very dirty little hands!  I rubbed my fingers over it, trying to 'blend' or 'smudge' it - and nothing happened.

It got me thinking!  REALLY thinking.

So today was the first time I'd had the opportunity to try out my theory (which I tweeted about last week, by the way) and I was proven correct - I'm SO excited!




So pardon the massive honker (wide angles, dodgy macro, lighting... no, can't back that up, I really DO have a big nose) and literally dripping skin.  This is shot IMMEDIATELY after I'd jumped out of the shower.  You get to see my freckles, discolouration everything.  But I think it's worth it because, on my lids, you can see (if you know what to look for) the L'Oreal HIP Paint in 809 - Lofty.

Okay, so it's a bit hard to tell, and I'll obviously have to update this post either tonight or tomorrow after my next shower using a darker shade, but ALL of the Paint is STILL on my lid.  Exactly where I put it!

Let me, again, be really clear about something.  Before I got in the shower, I applied the paint to bare lids.  No primer.  They hadn't be cleansed prior.  It was lunch time, and I'd spent all morning, had gone outside in the 40C heat (sweated etc) then come in and applied the product.  I gave it a few minutes of wear, to make sure it 'set', then jumped into the shower....  Where I shampood and conditioned my hair, washed AND exfoliated my face.  Granted, I made sure not to apply cleanser directly over my eyelids (and I'd NEVER recommend exfoliated your eyes either!) I didn't try, in the slightest, to prevent the shampoo or conditioner from running over my face.  I was under the shower longer than normal, and just deliberately turned my face directly into the stream of water to try and simulate a swimming environment.

And through all of that, the shadow lasted!

That should excite you as much as it does me!

Yes, the product is pretty.  It's easy to use.  It's multi functional (use it as a base, OR as a standalone shadow).  But the best feature, from my perspective - as an Australian who spends literally all Summer at the beach or in the pool or [Murray] River - is it's stickability, it's waterproof factor!  THIS is an exciting discovery.

You can apply the product, get into the water, come out and you're still looking gorgeous!!!

Now, when I went onto the L'Oreal Paris Australia website, I couldn't find any information whatsoever on this product.  I wasn't listed!

And that's because it's not available in our country - what a bummer!?

So where do you get it?

Well, I jumped onto ebay.com.au and found a few 'buy it now' auctions where you'd be set back between $12 and $15 (plus postage) for the product - which I figured was WAAAAAY too much...  Sure, you don't need much product, and it will last a whole long time.  But if you're wanting a few different shades to mix and match (which you can also do, by the way, like paint on a pallet... but I'll save that for another post) I reckon $15 is TOO much to spend.

I'd rather spend, oh I dunno, around 5 bucks?  Where could I get a product for only $5?

Here, at Brigette's Boutique, of course!

Yes, Brigette's store is based in 'The States', and yes, everything is listed in US dollars.  However, with the Aussie and US dollars reaching near parity, now is the BEST time to be purchasing things online!  The paints are only $USD4.95 each which, according to xe.com is near enough to  $AUD5.35 which is awesome!

I can't say enough amazing things about Brigette's Boutique!  Brigette is quick to respond, by email, to any questions.  She's down to earth, and has a HUGE selection of Almay, Chanel, Clinque, ELF, Estee Lauder, Lancome, L'Oreal, MAC, Maybelline, Orlane, Pop Beauty, Revlon, Smashbox and Yves Saint Laurent products at INSANE prices!

If I go to my closest MAC counter, I'll have to fork out at least $32 for a single eyeshadow.  But on Brigette's site, I only have to pay from $11 - she even stocks limited editions and hard to find releases, so seriously go and check it out.

And, to make things even better, Brigette has offere a most amazing deal!  If you use the coupon OZBUDGET5 when you're checking out, you'll get a further 5% discount on her already amazing and rediculous prices!  Shipping takes, on average, a week (although you can pay a little extra for priority mail if you choose) and the products are all packaged REALLY well!

Head on over to Brigette's Boutique immediately.  And remember to checkout with OZBUDGET5 for your discount.

And tell all your family and friends so they can make use of the discount too - it's valid right up until December 15th!  Thanks Brigette!

YouTube video review and tutorials to follow - so keep your eye out!

*hugs*

Vashti




OZBUDGET5 at

No comments:

Post a Comment