Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Secret Beauty Ingredient: Olive Oil



Olive Oil!

I grew up in an area saturated with Italians, Turkish, and Greek immigrants.  Many of the kids I grew up with were 1st or 2nd generation Aussies!

As a result, most of my culinary experiences included extra virgin (and in most cases, homemade) olive oil!  MMMMMM, delicious!

But did you know that Olive Oil is also one of the most amazing [not so secret] skincare and beauty ingredients?

It's been found that the Egyptians (think Cleopatra), Greeks, Phoenicians, and Romans (among many others) all used this oil in beauty preparations!

Olive Oil:
  • is a natural moisturiser - yup, it's absorbed right into the skin and helps to promote and retain it's elasticity (awesome news for those of you with rediculously dry skin like me, or eczema like my daughter)
  • is very rich in antioxidants, including vitamins A and E, which are the key ingredients in ALL anti-ageing creams/lotions/serums etc
  • also has the natural ability to stimulate cells and therefore, helps to enhance firmer and healthier skin
  • can be used as a soap replacement for your entire body
  • can be used as an eye makeup remover, removing even waterproof mascaras and eye liners
  • is awesome when used as a lip balm
  • is an amazing hair conditioner, and some people swear by it's ability to treat/prevent dandruff
  • has got to be one of the best oils to strenghten nails and cuticles

I've recently, accidentally by the way, discovered what I consider to be the most amazing, hydrating, non-sticky, non-oily moisturiser featuring Olive Oil.  And what's better, is that it's cheap as chips, and you can make it yourself!


Basically, Olive Oil is the good stuff.  And you want to incorporate much more of it into your daily life than you already do.  Amazingly, not only is this stuff great on the skin/hair/nails (and in your beauty products) it tastes amazing too.  I've continued the traditions passed to me by some of my closest Italian friends, and we eat olive oil practically every day in our household.

As an aside, my three kids (17, 4 and 2yrs) LOVES 'garlic butter' that I make.  I take a tablespoon or two of softened butter, and drizzle olive oil into it (stirring constantly with a fork to incorporate it) until it's a really smooth pastey consistency.  Then I add salt and garlic to taste (you can use garlic powder if you prefer, but we reckon fresh minced garlic HAS to be the best).  Cover with clingfilm and leave in your fridge.  They'll have that stuff on bread, toast, plain buscuits, rice crackers or whatever.  No other flavours required!

Want to know more?  I'm composing a series of posts about 'secret' beauty ingredients, and have 3 more to go before I post my moisturiser's secret recipe.  Keep coming back to find out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment