Tuesday, November 17, 2009

#4: Organise my makeup

Actually, when it all comes down to it, organisation is about knowing what you have, knowing how you want to use it, and arranging it efficiently and effectively.

And for THIS reason, makeup organisation is SO personal.  What's right for me won't be right for you.

We're renting.  There.  I said it.

Actually, Mark and I have made a deliberate decision to rent.  The mortgage on our home would be 3 times what we pay in rental - so we're saving the difference and investing it.  But I'll save THAT for another post.  *laughs*

We have a TINY ensuite, with practically NO storage space.  We have a 'vanity' with a single cupboard.  That's it, as far as storage space goes.  I'd show you photos, except it's SO small, there's no practical way of getting a good shot of it.

Our ensuite is as wide as a standard shower recess, and is butted into the far end.  Immediately next to that, set agains the 'long' wall, is the vanity with a 'gorgeous' 70's inspired brown plastic sliding mirror set above it.  Then, as close as practically possible to all that, and directly opposite the shower recess is the toilet.

Hmmmm.  My descriptions isn't the best is it.  I might just HAVE to show you what I mean.  But I need to clean the shower, so the photos will have to wait for another time :-)

And anyway, I digress... this post was supposed to be about my having organised my makeup.

Which I did.

Being that my moniker is OzBudgetBeauty, part of my ethos is the 'budget' factor.  I'm not a compulsive shopper.  I don't see something and then just HAVE to have it.  Nor do I feel the urge to 'keep up with the Joneses" of the makeup world.

Also, I'm not a makeup artist.  So, I only have to purchase for myself.  I don't have to purchase for EVERY skintone, shade and requirement.  Compared to the makeup junkies and artists out there, my collection is meagre - and actually, I LOVE it that way.

So, I spend $20 at Go-Lo and purchased a small plastic sliding draw set.  It has four drawers.  Top is for foundations/powders.  2nd drawer is for blushers, contour & highlighters.  Next we have the 'eyes' drawer (shadows, liners, pigments etc) and last (but not least) I have the 'lips' drawer with my plethora of glosses.

Now, my few pallets don't fit into any of these drawers, so I have a shallow basket that I sit in my bedside cabinet which houses these, and I have one other makeup bag that I keep my 'go to' stuff in.

That's it!

And HOW did I organise all of this?  Well, making this post has made me realise that there was actually a whole lot of thought that went into the process.  And, in my opinion, understanding the theory and getting to the thoughts behind why I do what I do, is going to be a whole lot more helpful to you that to just show you the end result.

So, I've just added YET ANOTHER 'to make video' on my list for YouTube.

Stay tuned.

*hugs*

Vashti

No comments:

Post a Comment